I’m a little behind on a number of things, including updates on Fantasy Faire 2014.
The Faire, an annual event in Second Life in support of RFL of SL and the American Cancer Society will this year run from May 1st through 11th inclusive, and the official press release announcing the event on April 1st, reads in part:
Celebrating its sixth year, Fantasy Faire 2014 is the largest gathering of fantasy designers, enthusiasts, roleplayers and performers in the virtual world. From Thursday, May 1 to Sunday May 11, treat yourself to eleven days of shopping, live music concerts, auctions, hunts and roleplaying as thousands of Second Life residents and creators bring their own visions together to support the American Cancer Society’s vision of a world without cancer.
Avatars, clothing, furnishings, gadgets and exclusive items are available from more than 150 of SL’s top Fantasy Creators across eleven stunning sims designed by some of the visionary artists behind many of the hottest spots on the SL destination guide.
Sponsors of Fantasy Faire 2014 include:
- Event sponsors: Curious Kitties, Dark Goddess Designs, Epic, .Luminary., L’Uomo and Spyralle
- Region sponsors: Cerridwen’s Cauldron, Creators of Fantasy, Dwarfins, Fallen Gods Inc., Fuubutsu-Dou, The Looking Glass, NeoVictoria, Roawenwood and Solarium.
Applications from people wishing to be official bloggers are currently being accepted. This year will see a change to how things are run, as the Blogger FAQ & application post explains:
This year there will be some changes to how the Faire blogging occurs. First of all, there will be no obligatory assignments. Instead there will be challenges. We do not want to force anyone to do anything, we want to inspire, dare, encourage: challenge.
It’s worth taking the time to read the FAQ in detail, as there are some important changes from previous years, including the option for people to blog for Fantasy Faire on the official blog. As it is worth reading the FAQ, I’m not linking directly to the blogger application form from here – please follow the link at the end of FAQ page.
The blogger challenges mentioned in the FAQ are open to anyone, whether accepted as an official blogger or not. These are designed to encourage bloggers to cover the event from unique perspectives. In all, there are three blogger challenges:
- Faire Folk: bloggers are invited to create a character from the Fairelands and pick one of the Faire sims as their home, make a look mostly from Faire items, make the character come alive. Take at least one picture of that character in the chosen home sim and blog away!
- My New Shiny: bloggers are asked to find a shop in the Fairelands they have never heard of before and blog something from the store. It’s about finding and showcasing the hidden talents, the newcomers, the surprises at this year’s Faire
- Why I Relay: a challenge for those who have a personal reason to support Relay for Life events and who would like to share it.
As I blogged the 2013 Fantasy Faire from the perspective of a traveller passing through the Fairelands, I rather like the Faire Folk challenge.
Keeping up with Fantasy Faire
You can keep-up with Fantasy Faire preparations and activities a number of ways: