Updates for the week ending: April 20th, 2014
This summary is published every Monday and is a list of SL viewer / client releases (official and TPV) made during the previous week. When reading it, please note:
- It is based on my Current Viewer Releases Page, a list of all Second Life viewers and clients that are in popular use (and of which I am aware), and which are recognised as adhering to the TPV Policy
- By its nature, this summary will always be in arrears
- The Viewer Round-up Page is updated as soon as I’m aware of any releases / changes to viewers & clients, and should be referred to for more up-to-date information
- The Viewer Round-up Page also includes comprehensive links to download pages, blog notes, release notes, etc., as well as links to any / all reviews of specific viewers / clients made within this blog.
Official LL Viewers
- No update
- Release channel cohorts (See my notes on manually installing RC viewer versions if you wish to install any release candidate(s) yourself):
- VoiceMO RC viewer updated to version 126.96.36.1999164 released on April 18 – core updates: combines the Voice RC viewer and the Merchant Outbox RC viewer (download and release notes)
- Project viewers:
- SL Share 2 project viewer updated to version 188.8.131.528806 on April 15 – core updates: Flickr / Twitter / Facebook upload support with snapshot filtering options (download and release notes)
LL Viewer Resources
- CtrlAltStudio released Mac version 184.108.40.206755 on April 14th – core updates: parity with the Windows 1.2.0 release (download and release notes)
Mobile / Other Clients
- Pocket Metaverse updated to version 1.9.1 on April 18th – core updates: removal of support for iOS 6.0 and earlier (download and release notes)
Additional TPV Resources
Connor Monaron has confirmed that the UKanDo third-party viewer is now using Linden Lab’s automatic update capability and viewer version manager.
This means that as of the current version of UKanDo (3.7.4). As well as providing the option for users to have UKanDo automatically update on a new release, these changes mean that only the current release of UKanDo and the two immediately prior to it will be allowed to connect to Second Life; older versions will be automatically blocked, requiring users to update them.
The UKanDo blog post announcing these changes reads in full:
UKanDo now uses the Linden Lab® Viewer Version Manager (VVM) system for automatic updates and version management. As a user you have the option to set automatic or manual updates in Preferences-> Setup-> Software updates (by default it is set to Install automatically).
The release candidates tick-box is disabled as there are no plans what-so-ever to use this feature.
VVM is also used to control which versions can or can’t login to Second Life®. The versions which can login are the Current Release plus the two previous releases, all versions before these are now blocked!
One side effect to this is as a new version is released the older of the two previous releases will then become a blocked version.
Another side effect is, if you are trying to use a blocked version, it will update to the latest release before it allows you to login.
TPVs are being encouraged to adopt the automatic update / version management capability and / or to restrict their users to using the more recent releases of their viewer so as to lighten the load of having outdated versions of viewer which fail to leverage more recently improvements and capabilities (HTTP, interest list updates, fitted mesh, etc.). As such, UKanDo becomes the latest TPV to do so.
Since my initial post on the SL11B Community Celebration announcement, the original SL11BCC post has been expanded to include links to the various application forms.
Currently, the organisers are seeking applications from Performers, Volunteers and speakers and performers in the Auditorium. All applications should be submitted no later than Monday May 26th.
If you wish to be an exhibitor at the SL11 Community Event, please note that applications will open on Sunday April 27th.
The SL10B Community Celebration Lake Stage by Kazuhiro Aridian
The Raglan Shire Artwalk is one of the staples of the SL art calendar. With 2014 marking the Walk’s ninth year, it will take place between Sunday May 4th and Sunday May 25, 2014 (inclusive).
Every year over 100 artists and residents in Second Life display 2D and 3D art across a number of exhibition spaces across all the regions of the Raglan Shire cluster. 2D art is displayed on hedgerows in and around the regions, offering visitors the chance to view pieces as they explore the Shire, while sculptures and 3D art is displayed in a number of designated areas across the regions.
Those wishing to exhibit their work at the 2014 Artwalk are invited to complete the Artist Registration Form, which should be submitted for inclusion no later than 21:00 SLT on Sunday April 27th.
A part of the Raglan Shire Art Walk 2013
There is a full set of guidelines and requirements for participation in the event, but in brief:
- The event is a non-juried show
- Artists can display more than one piece if they wish
- 2D (“flat” art pieces will be awarded a maximum of 15 prims, and individual pictures should be 1 prim, including the frame (a kit for 1-prim framing can be obtained at the Raglan Shire Welcome Centre)
- 3D art (sculptures, etc.), will be awarded a maximum of 500 prims for up to three pieces of work. Artists are requested to state the number of prims per piece in their application
- Sales of works are allowed
- All the above art forms are welcome, but should be rated PG / G – so no nudity, please!
- Group membership will be required in order to display work
- Questions and enquiries should be forwarded via note card to Artwalk Director Karmagirl Avro, or Artwalk Assistants Dagmar Klaar & Liandras Jameson.
The arrival point for Art Walk 2012
- Sunday April 27th: Applications close at 21:00 SLT
- Thursday, May 1st: Notification of exhibit space location issued to artists
- Friday, May 2nd / Saturday May 3rd: Artist set-up days
- Sunday, May 4th: ARTWALK OPENS
- Sunday, May 25th: Artwalk closes
- Sunday, May 25th (after 18:00 SLT) / Monday, May 26th: Takedown of works.